Surviving the Twinkie-pocalpse

After the seemingly tragic end to the Hostess Twinkie reign of snack foods, it may be difficult to find a snack. The Oracle has compiled five of some of the easiest homemade snack food recipes, ready to fill the void during the Twinkie-pocalypse in case any other corporations are to follow Hostess in declaring bankruptcy.

1. Homemade Twinkies
Hipsters have long enjoyed this recipe, but it soon may be time for the rest of the world to jump on board.

Cake:
4 egg whites
1 box yellow cake mix
2/3 cup water
Filling:
2 teaspoons very hot water
1 jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup butter or shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Create 10 Twinkie-shaped molds out of aluminum foil and place on cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat egg whites until they reach stiff points, and then add cake mix and water. Pour batter into molds and bake for 30 minutes. Mix all filling ingredients. Wait until cakes cool, and make small holes in each cake, stuffing each with
the filling.

Adapted from the Today Show

2. Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
Reeses peanut butter cups have been another American staple for years now. But if youre feeling a little crafty and want to skimp on preservatives, try this imitation recipe at home.

1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
4-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 milk chocolate candy bars coarsely chopped
Mix together peanut butter, butter, sugar and salt in a bowl. In a separate container, mix the candy bars, chocolate chips and the rest of the peanut butter. Melt in microwave and stir until mixture is smooth. Place a couple of teaspoons of chocolate mixture into mini cupcake cups. Then, place a layer of peanut butter on top and add the top layer of chocolate. Refrigerate until solid. This recipe is enough to make 3 dozen servings.

Kelsey Sunderland

3. Kale Chips
If youre tired of store-boughtor inspired snacks and want to try something healthier, chips made from kale greens are a simple alternative.

1 cup kale leaves, washed, dried and thick stems removed
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Put all ingredients in a sealable container, such as Tupperware, and shake well until kale is coated. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for about 15- 20 minutes, or until edges begin to brown slightly.

Hannah Feig

4. Homemade Cheetos
Regular store-bought Cheetos arent exactly the healthiest thing for college students. If you cant get enough of the cheesy flavor, but you want to cut down on the junk food as the New Year approaches, this healthier version of Cheetos are a good place to start.

1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup whole wheat or gluten free flour
1/4 cup softened butter or earth balance
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard.

Preheat your oven to 400 degree and mix the ingredients together. Place small balls of the mixture on an ungreased cookie sheet with one inch between them. Bake for 15 minutes at 400, then remove and let cool for about five minutes.

Food.com

5. Homemade Pita Chips
While pita is becoming a popular appetizer on restaurant menus. It isnt always convenient to drive and wait to be served this simple snack. So if youre craving a simple chip, give this homemade pita recipe a try.

3 pitas, cut into 8 wedges
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic smashed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Cut three pitas into eight wedges. Pour olive oil and garlic into a bowl with salt and pepper. Brush this mixture upon the pita chips. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, take out chips and let them cool.

foodnetwork.com

6. Homemade Cheez Whiz
Not that anyone is a fan of Cheez Whiz to begin with, but in case one ever craves the canned goodness of the mysterious substance, heres a quick recipe:
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1.5 ounces cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup milk
Blend all ingredients except milk. Heat milk for 45 seconds in microwave and blend with mixture. Serve immediately.