SG to host Election Day watch party

As the BBC and other international and local networks broadcast election results live from campus, former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama will have to scoot over to share the limelight with Rocky D. Bull, the Sun Dolls and the USF cheerleaders.

Tonight at the Marshall Student Center (MSC) Amphitheater, USF Student Government (SG) will host a tailgate-themed election watch party, featuring a cornhole toss and other games, music provided by Bulls Radio, pizza, popcorn, snow cones and live-streamed election results.

The amphitheater will feature large projectors streaming the results of the election via ABC news, an outlet that will be present at the event, and a live map that will be updated to reflect the number of electoral votes that go to each candidate.

USF student body President Brian Goff said in previous years hes watched election results stream in with small groups of his friends, staying up by himself sometimes after they fell asleep.

Its a fun thing to be celebrating, going out and getting our voice heard, he said. Goff, who said he will vote
bright and early tomorrow, said hes excited to see the student turnout, which he expects to be large.

Students are really engaged with this election, he said. Its important to see whats going on because the decisions made today impact our generation in the future.

The event is co-sponsored by the NAACP, Omega Phi Beta Sorority and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.

Shanika White, president of the Kappa Iota chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, said her organization first pitched the idea to SG, thinking it would be a smaller event held in the MSC Ballroom. Since then, she said, its expanded positively and hopes it will be a huge event.

White, who voted for the first time over the weekend, said she hopes students see the importance of this election in their lives.

A lot of policies put in place are affecting us at this moment in history, she said. Its important regardless of which candidate is selected.

The event, which starts at 5 p.m., is open to the public and all parking behind the MSC and in the Crescent Hill Garage will be available to students.