Bulls clip Cardinals in penalty shootout

It came down to penalty kicks for the USF womens soccer team against the Louisville Cardinals on Sunday in their Big East Quarterfinal match.

Tied at 3-3, freshman midfielder Olivia Chance kicked in the game-winning shot as the Bulls defeated the Cardinals 0-0, 4-3 in penalty kicks to advance to the semifinals to take on the Georgetown Hoyas.

Chance said she was worried if she kicked the ball to left side of the net instead of the right.

As I jogged up, I knew if I missed it, it would push to the wrong side, she said. I was worried, but when I got to the spot, I picked it and it went in.

Coach Denise Schilte-Brown said she didnt give a speech heading into penalty kicks.

I didnt have to say much, she said. I think when youre prepared, it advances down to what you have to say. We knew who our shooters were going into the game. We knew Christiane was amazing. I felt confident she would save at least one shot.

Endler repeated her performance against the Cardinals from the regular season, saving eight out of the Cardinals 16 shots, including one in penalty kicks.

She always have our backs. The shots that she saved are amazing. They should be in, but theyre not, Chance said.

Schilte-Brown said her defense had a strong outing.

They were great. I feel like four or five games into the season, something just clicked with that, Schilte-Brown said. Theyve been consistent and they get through games.”

She also described her defense as an attacking defense.

The biggest thing for us, were an attacking back four. Boo (Alexandra Eagle) gets involved, she said. It made us this dangerous team from the back to the front.

In the first half, the Cardinals defense slowed down the Bulls attack, holding them to six shots while the Cardinals had six. But in the second half, the Bulls were able to turn it around by attacking the ball and creating shot opportunities.

In overtime, both teams began the period with shots that were wide and high.

Junior forward Sharla Passariello led USF with four shots, including one shot at goal along with Chance who had three shots and two shots at goal.

USF shifts its attention to the Hoyas, a team that USF hasnt played this season, as the team travels to Storrs, Conn. on Friday.