MIAMI George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer charged with murder in the killing of Trayvon Martin, surrendered to police Sunday and was booked into a central Florida jail two days after his bond was revoked.
Zimmermans legal team said in a tweet Sunday afternoon that he was in police custody. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester revoked Zimmermans bond Friday, saying the defendant and his wife had lied to the court in April about their finances so he could obtain a lower bond.
About 40 minutes before the 2:30 p.m. Sunday deadline to surrender, the Seminole County jail website listed Zimmerman as an inmate. He was being held without bail and had $500 in his jail account, the website showed.
Seminole County Sheriff Donald Eslinger said Zimmerman turned himself in to sheriffs office employees around 1:25 p.m. near the jail and was then driven there. Zimmerman arrived in a white minivan and did not respond to questions from reporters as he walked inside, handcuffed and wearing blue jeans, sneakers and a button-down shirt.
He is quiet and cooperative, Eslinger said at a news conference after Zimmermans surrender.
The sheriffs office said the 28-year-old Zimmerman would be in a cell by himself, separated from the general population, because the case is so high-profile. The 67-square-foot cell is equipped with a toilet, two beds, a mattress, a pillow, a blanket and bed sheets. Zimmerman will not have access to a TV.
Prosecutors said last week that Zimmerman and his wife told the judge at a bond hearing in April that they had limited money, even though he had raised about $135,000 through a website set up for his legal defense. They suggested more has been collected since and deposited in a bank account. Defense attorneys say the matter is a misunderstanding.
The judge said Friday he would schedule a hearing after Zimmerman was back in custody so he could explain himself.
Defense attorney Mark OMara announced earlier Sunday on his website that Zimmerman had arrived in Florida late Saturday evening ahead of his surrender.
Zimmerman, who was charged in April with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of the 17-year-old Martin in Sanford, was ordered by a judge Friday to return to jail. After his release, Zimmerman stayed at an undisclosed location for his safety.
Zimmermans legal team said Sunday that they will ask for a new bond hearing to address the judges concerns, and that they hope Zimmermans voluntary surrender will show he is not a flight risk.