Rounding out Record Store Day events

Vinyl collectors can rejoice, as Record Store Day (RSD) is upon us once again.

The annual global celebration, which began in 2007, takes place on the third Saturday of April. Every year, music enthusiasts flock to local record stores to scoop up discounted records and CDs while enjoying live performances, food and drinks.

This Saturday, a number of area record stores will be selling releases exclusive to RSD, as well as various other pieces of discounted merchandise. Each store has a full bill of local and non-local musicians set to perform throughout the day. The Oracle looks at what Tampa Bay area record stores are offering.

Mojo Books & Music

2558 E. Fowler Ave.

Tampa, FL, 33612

One of the few record stores in the state that has participated in RSD since 2007, Mojo Books & Music is, once again, going all out. It will be the first year that the event will be held at Mojos expanded store, which opened last year and includes a full-service coffee bar.

The store opens at 9 a.m. and there will be a vegan bake sale at 10 a.m., with proceeds going to Florida Voices for Animals.

Drawings and giveaways of rare releases will be held throughout the day and free goodie bags will be given with all purchases, while supplies last.

DJ Sam Esser will perform from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and will spin your RSD purchase. Throughout the day, a free lineup of bands including the Red Rockits, Month Mind, Harpers Ferry and Hot Hands will play live in the store.

According to co-owner Melanie Cade, RSD is the most exciting day of the year for Mojo and its customers.

Our customers are able to take home something special, something the big online retailers cant offer, Cade said. And they get to have a great time doing it.

Microgroove

4906 N. Florida Ave.

Tampa, FL, 33603

Microgroove opened in December in the culturally burgeoning Seminole Heights by Carl Webb and Keith Ulrey, selling new and used vinyl, CDs, turntables and accessories.

Starting at 9 a.m., all items at Microgroove will be 10 percent off, except RSD releases and local consignment items. Webb and Ulrey said demand for RSD special releases is very high and supplies are limited, so customers should arrive early.

Poetry n Lotion, Feral Babies, Empire Cinema and Mrenc will perform live at the store in the afternoon, and DJ Blenda will spin throughout the day.

Complimentary Pabst Blue Ribbon will also be available to customers over 21 with a valid ID.

Daddy Kool Records

666 Central Ave.

St. Petersburg, FL, 33701

Daddy Kool Records will begin the days loaded festivities at 9 a.m., with free coffee from Caf Bohemia and free cupcakes courtesy of Stephii Cakes at The Local 662.

The record store opens at 10 a.m., and free live music begins at the adjacent Fubar at noon. Live performances continue at The Local 662 at 3 p.m.

Daddy Kool, known for its low-price concert tickets, offers a wide selection of vinyl, DVDs, new and used CDs, artist merchandise, patches, stickers, shirts and posters that will be on sale throughout RSD.

Bananas Music

2887 22nd Ave N.

St. Petersburg, FL, 33713

Live performances begin early at Bananas Musics celebration of RSD the first of 12 musicians and bands will take the stage at 9:20 a.m. and the free, live music will continue until 8 p.m.

The store will offer a number of free promotional music and other giveaways, including a gift certificate scavenger hunt.

All day, used merchandise will be 10 percent off and customers who wear a Bananas T-shirt will get a 15 percent discount.

Having served hundreds of customers at last years RSD, Bananas has developed a system to regulate the rush for RSD special releases. The store will hand out a list of what and how many special releases they have, and they will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis, with one title to each customer.