National Signing Day: Holtz expected to welcome small class

National Signing Day todaylikely won’t carry thesame stresses it heldlast year for the USFcoaching staff.

Coming off a 5-7 seasonand missing a bowl game for the first time in six years, coach Skip Holtz and his staff scoured junior collegeprograms for older playerswith more experience who could likely have a moreimmediate effect on thefootball field next seasonbecause of their participation in spring practice.

Holtz brought in nine newplayers for the springsemester in January, butis expecting another nine tojoin the program todayby making their verbalcommitments official andsigning their NationalLetters of Intent to playfor the Bulls.

Verbal commitments are non-binding, so until a player faxes in his paperwork and everything is checked for accuracy and completion,players are not officially tiedto the school.

Those expected to signwith USF today include adynamic pair of offensive weapons in tight end Sean Price, considered to beone of the best recruits to ever commit to USF, andwide receiver D’VarioMontgomery. According torivals.com, both are four-star recruits.

Price, from North Marion High School in Citra, north of Ocala, is rated as thefifth-best tight end prospect in the country at 6-foot-4,232 pounds. He committed to USF after visiting Oklahomaand chose the Bulls overdefending national champion Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan and Notre Dame, among others.

Montgomery, from WinterPark High School inWinter Park, is thesecond four-star widereceiver prospect to chooseUSF in as many years,following Andre Davis. At6-foot-3, 215 pounds,Montgomery is consideredto be the 21st-rankedwide receiver prospect inthe country and hadscholarship offers from most programs around the country,including Alabama, Georgia,Oklahoma, Ohio State and West Virginia,among others.

Also in the classexpected to sign withUSF today are: offensivelineman Kofi Amichia,athlete/defensive end Guito Ervilus, defensive back Jarvis McCall, defensive end DanielPerry, running back MichaelPierre, athlete Jalen Spencerand wide receiver LaMarlin Wiggins.

Gousfbulls.comwill providefull coverage as NationalLetters of Intent arrive at USF and Holtz will attend aNational Signing Day Party at Stumps in Channelsidestarting at 5:30 p.m.