Hip-hop intellectual Hill to speak at ULS

A hip-hop generation educator and media personality will discuss the civil rights movement and how to bridge generation gaps  today in a University Lecture Series (ULS) speech honoring Martin Luther King Jr.

Marc Lamont Hill, an associate professor at Columbia University and TV commentator, will speak at 8 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom as part of USF’s Annual MLK Convocation. 

Hill regularly appears on Fox News Channel, CNN and MSNBC and hosts the show “Our World with Black Enterprise” on TV One. In 2009, Hill made headlines when he was fired as a liberal commentator for Fox News, where he was a regular guest on “The O’Reilly Factor,” after being accused of supporting “cop killers  an racists.”

Kristie Gerber, director of the Center for Student Involvement, said Hill was chosen for the series because of the emphasis he places on positive change. She said she expects his message will be that “everyone can change — we can make a multicultural change.”

“It’s going to take every one of us to make a multicultural community, and I feel we can do this right now,” she said.

The cost of Hill’s appearance was $7,800, and the ballroom seats 700 to 800 people, Gerber said. The lecture will include a question-and-answer session and will be followed by a book signing of Hill’s book, “Beats, Rhymes and Classroom Life: Hip-Hop Pedagogy and the Politics of Identity.”

Aziz Talbani, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, which organized the convocation, but not the lecture said Hill’s media prominence allows him to educate others.

“I think he will motivate and inform our students (and) motivate them to follow Dr. King’s example.”