Fall 2011s most anticipated albums

Along with recent reissues, such as the 20th-anniversary box set of Nirvana’s seminal “Nevermind,” a few artists will also have new high-profile releases hitting store shelves this fall.

While many established artists are releasing albums that are promising to be a return to form, a few are mixing things up, such as the Metallica and Lou Reed collaboration, “Lulu.”

Scene & Heard takes a peek at some of fall’s most promising offerings from music acts both old and new.

Feist, “Metals”

Today

After a break from touring and recording following promotion for her 2007 album, “The Reminder,” which featured the breakthrough hit and colorful music video for the track “1234,” Feist is returning for her latest album: “Metals.”

The former Broken Social Scene singer appears to be channeling her sultry pop songstress persona all over again, as lead single “How Come You Never Go There” covers much of the same ground of previous tracks such as “Mushaboom” and “I Feel It All.”

While it’s yet to be seen whether Feist will be returning with another unforgettable music video in line with her dance-heavy clip for “1234,” the singer looks to be adding to her impressive discography with another worthy disc.

Bjrk, “Biophilia”

Oct. 11

Icelandic singer Bjrk has long been considered an innovator in the music field, with breathtaking videos for songs such as “All Is Full of Love” and a particular liking for electronic beats and rhythms, but she is looking to make her new album, “Biophilia,” a multimedia affair.

Bjrk plans to launch a special application for Apple products allowing you to take part in an interactive experience with each of the album’s ten tracks, which incorporate the album’s themes of science and nature.

On tracks such as “Virus,” in which Bjrk croons about the relationship between a virus and a cell, you will be able to use the application to play a game in which you can bring the virus to a halt. Plans to use the album as a way to educate children are also in talks, while lead track “Crystalline” proves that this is more than just a bid for relevancy by an artist seemingly past her prime.

Tom Waits, “Bad As Me”

Oct. 25

Dedicated fans of the gravel-voiced rocker know that it’s been seven long years since his last new release, 2004’s “Real Gone.” With only a handful of tours and a comprehensive rarities collection, entitled “Orphans,” released since then, rumors began to swirl as to when Waits would be making new music again.

Fans found their answer on Aug. 23, when Waits released the single “Bad As Me” on iTunes and through other streaming outlets, as well as a YouTube preview of the album. Waits has returned on the album, also titled “Bad As Me,” with the same sort of drunken swagger and gypsy persona that has permeated his best works, such as “Rain Dogs” and especially “Blue Valentine.”

Waits also seems intent on giving fans who’ve been waiting these seven long years a token of his appreciation. Along with releasing the album on CD, vinyl and digital formats, “Bad As Me” will come with a 40-page booklet featuring a behind the scenes look at the album’s creation and a comprehensive lyric sheet.

Metallica & Lou Reed, “Lulu”

Nov. 1

Founder of groundbreaking New York City rock outfit The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed has had a long and storied career that has spanned nearly five decades. Having previously collaborated with music acts such as The Killers, uncharacteristic collaborations aren’t out of the norm for Reed. Enter Metallica.

Renowned heavy metal act Metallica first took the stage with Reed at the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. After that, collaboration plans were hatched – resulting in “Lulu,” an avant-garde metal project based on songs Reed wrote for a production of two plays by German playwright Frank Wedekind.

All of that has been a bit much for Metallica’s rabid fan base, which has seemingly polluted the “Comments” section of the single “The View” on YouTube. While the tracks showcase a project that may not be the most pleasing to the ears, it’s a step in a direction for both aging acts that’ll keep them from growing stale.

Childish Gambino, “Camp”

Nov. 15

Perhaps the only true contemporary artist on this list besides Feist, Childish Gambino is the rapping alter ego of “Community” star Donald Glover. Channeling his wacky comedic persona and penchant for clever rhymes, Glover has turned what was once a side project into a full-fledged major release.

“Camp” is the first album to be distributed by somebody other than Glover himself, who had uploaded his albums for free on his personal blog since 2008. Released by independent record label Glassnote Records, “Camp” promises to deliver the same absurd humor present on Childish Gambino tracks “Freaks and Geeks” and “Do Ya Like.”

The album’s first single “Bonfire” appears to be more of the same from Gambino, but perhaps this could be a way to lure in current fans of the artist. While the full track listing has yet to be posted, let’s hope Glover steps up his rhymes now that he seems to be making this a major part of his career.