Increased patrols ease traffic issues

The beginning of a new semester is historically a time for traffic concerns.

Yet this year, University Police (UP) spokesman Lt. Chris Daniel said he feels UP, along with SAFE Team and Allied Barton security, significantly decreased the number of accidents on campus during the first week of the semester.

“We wanted to maximize opportunity and effectiveness,” he said. “(And) through high visibility, education and enforcement, it all helped.”

He said there were no vehicle-versus-pedestrian accidents in the first week, only a couple low-speed vehicle versus vehicle accidents in parking lots and one single-vehicle accident at Alumni and Magnolia drives Thursday.

The first week of fall 2010 saw 12 traffic accidents during the first two days.

According to a UP media release, there was only one person involved in the single-vehicle accident. The person was transported to a local hospital for evaluation after being removed from the overturned car by Tampa Fire Rescue.

Approximately $20,000 in damage resulted from the crash, according to the release, “including damage to a Blue-Light Emergency telephone and a Shriners Hospital sign.”

Daniel said UP focused on five different heavily used crosswalks and intersections last week: the intersection of Holly and Palm drives, the crosswalk on Maple Drive between the Sun Dome parking lot and the College of Business Administration, the crosswalks on Leroy Collins Boulevard by the parking garage, the engineering buildings and Alumni Drive area crosswalks and the entire span of Holly and Palm drives throughout the residence hall area.