Bulls pick up both Bivins twins

USF picked up a pair of commitments from a single family this weekend. The Bivins family of Gainesville will send two of its members to Tampa to compete as Bulls.

Chris Bivins, a cornerback at Gainesville High School, gave USF coach Skip Holtz his verbal commitment after attending Saturday’s SuperBull event at Raymond James Stadium.

Bivins is rated as a three-star prospect by rivals.com and scout.com and will still visit four other schools during the recruitment period. His itinerary includes Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky and North Carolina State.

Chris’ twin sister, Kayla Bivins, has verbally committed to join coach Claire Lessinger’s volleyball program. Standing at 5-foot-11, Kayla Bivins is a middle blocker and chose USF over Texas Tech, Winthrop and Florida Atlantic.

Giles ineligible to play

Journeyman running back Jarvis Giles has opted to make USF his third school in two years, but he will not be allowed to play for the Bulls.

Originally rated as a four-star recruit by rivals.com at Gaither High School in Tampa, Giles rushed for 277 yards for South Carolina in his 2009 freshman season before leaving the team the following year and enrolling at Louisville.

Giles never played in a game at Louisville, but a Big East rule states that once student-athletes enroll in a conference school, they are ineligible to compete at any other member school.

It’s unclear if Giles will honor his decision.