Make the most of Memorial Day

Memorial Day is not merely another Monday off from school, but a day set aside to commemorate the men and women who have fallen in the line of duty and celebrate the freedoms they have helped protect.

There are plenty of events in the Tampa Bay area offering drink specials, live music and military discounts.

For those planning to stay in town for this year’s holiday, The Oracle suggests places for Memorial Day events.

Copper Top Pub

The neighborhood pub just a Bull Runner ride away from campus at 5112 E. Fowler Ave. is holding its Memorial Day celebration Monday from noon to 5 p.m.

The Second Annual Memorial Day Recall will offer food and drink specials and even a verbal 21-gun salute by a former serviceman.

All proceeds from the Recall will go to the American Widow Project, which gives support to those who have lost a spouse in the military.

97X Backyard BBQ

The Bay Area rock station 97X is holding a free concert Saturday at Vinoy Park in downtown St. Petersburg.

The nine musical acts include Panic! At The Disco, The Airborne Toxic Event and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Aside from beer, bands and barbecue, the event also features volleyball courts, corn toss and poker games.

Gates open at 11 a.m. For a map of free shuttle bus services and ticket outlets, visit 97xonline.com/backyard-bbq.

Shephard’s Beach Resort

If you are looking to spend the weekend in the sun, Shephard’s in Clearwater has three days worth of fun next to the water.

On Saturday, the resort will feature 93.3 FLZ Wired, live music at Tiki Beach and a live video show from DJ Ray at The Wave nightclub.

On Sunday, Shephard’s is throwing “The Biggest Party Day of 2011,” starting at 11 a.m. The party continues until 3 a.m. Monday and features DJ Skribble.

Then into the rest of Monday, check out “Monday School” for $1 drinks from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The Hawaiian Village

If you don’t want to make the trek to the beach but are still looking to get wet, head to Tampa’s Hawaiian Village on Sunday for the South Beach Sundays Memorial Day Bash.

The gigantic, 21-and-up pool party goes on from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and includes two stages for musical acts.

There will also be a bikini model contest with a grand prize of $2,000. Students can RSVP on Facebook for a reduced cover charge.

New World Brewery

For some of the best microbrews in town, head to Ybor City for a pre-Memorial Day show Sunday – with acts such as Red Room Cinema, Lady Lazarus and Birdlips.

With more than 50 brews, you’ll be sure to find one that suits your taste buds. There is a daily happy hour from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. offering $1 off American microbrews.

Admission is $7 in advance and $9 at the door.

Museum of Science and Industry

Looking to fill your brain with knowledge instead of alcohol this Memorial Day?

Head over to the Museum of Science and Industry, where anyone with valid military identification gets in for $5 – with the same discount for up to six guests.

The museum’s attractions include a number of scientific exhibitions, the IMAX Dome Theatre and even a bike suspended on a tightrope.

Lowry Park Zoo

There isn’t a more patriotic way to spend Memorial Day than hanging out with a real bald eagle.

On Monday, Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo will honor troops by offering free admission to any active or retired military.

The free admission also applies to three dependents, while general admission is $23.95.

Florida Aquarium

Tampa’s aquatic animal sanctuary is also offering free admission for military members and their family.

From Saturday to Monday, anyone with a proper military identification gets two free tickets and an additional half-off discount for up to four family members.

The aquarium includes wetlands, coral reef and bays and beaches sections that house more than 20,000 forms of wildlife.

Armed Forces Military Museum

Of course, there is no better way to remember our fallen brothers and sisters than by visiting the Armed Forces Military Museum in Largo.

From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, the museum is hosting a holiday event with food, contests, rock climbing, music and military dress-up photos.

Visitors are encouraged to don red, white and blue. Admission is $8 for adults and $5 for children.