Former Bulls wait as NFL Draft begins

Tonight, 254 football players will begin to find out if they have what it takes to play at the next level.

But out of the 15 former Bulls who worked out for USF’s Pro Day, only one — defensive tackle Terrell McClain — is widely projected to be drafted. Other former players are projected as potential late-round draft picks.

According to NFL.com’s official mock draft, McClain is projected to go in the third round at No. 92 to the New England Patriots. McClain, who recorded 43 sacks during his career at USF, was the only Bull invited to the NFL combine. The prediction that he will go to New England holds some merit, as the Patriots hosted McClain for his first private workout.

New England head coach Bill Belichick was one of two head coaches to attend USF’s Pro Day — paying special attention to the 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman.

While draft projections are far from an exact science, the same NFL website last year predicted that six Bulls would be drafted. Of those six, five were drafted — the exception being linebacker Kion Wilson, who signed as an undrafted rookie with the San Diego Chargers not long after.

However, NFL teams will not be allowed to sign undrafted rookies due to the current labor dispute. Until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, players will have to bank on being one of the lucky 254 when it comes to job security.

This makes the seventh and final round of the draft more important than ever before, both for teams and prospective players.

The 15 players who participated on Pro Day are offensive linemen Jamar Bass, Sampson Genus and Jacob Sims; defensive ends David Bedford and Craig Marshall; linebackers Sabbath Joseph and Jacquain Williams; defensive backs Chris Lane and Mistral Raymond; defensive tackle Terrell McClain; wide receiver Dontavia Bogan; tight end Kevin Gidrey; fullback Richard Kelly; running back Mo Plancher; and kicker Eric Schwartz.

Bogan could be USF’s second to be drafted, having worked out for the Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A handful of other players also worked out for the Buccaneers.

The first round of the NFL draft will air on ESPN at 8 p.m., with rounds two and three airing Friday at 6 p.m. and rounds four through seven Saturday at noon.