Oracle insight: Top athletes for 2010-11

With the 2010-11 academic year nearing its finale, The Oracle looks back on a year of athletic achievement and names the top 10 USF athletes of the year:

10) Chelsea Klotz, women’s soccer

In her junior year, Klotz tied for the team lead in goals with 11 and also added three assists. Paired with attack partner Venecia Reed, Klotz helped lead the Bulls to the championship game of the Big East conference tournament and a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Of her 11 goals, two came from the penalty spot and several were game winners, helping the Bulls beat Murray State, Southeastern Missouri State, Stetson and Pittsburgh.

9) Junior Carlin, baseball

As a senior this season, Junior Carlin increased his role on the team. He had been a starter in the outfield for most of his career, but became an important member of the pitching staff this year.

Carlin pitched for the first time since his freshman season against the University of Florida on Feb. 19, pitching two-thirds of an inning against the No. 1 Gators.

Since then, he has appeared in nine more games on the mound, in addition to his duties as USF’s everyday left fielder. This season he is 1-1 with a 3.78 ERA in 16.2 innings pitched. He has struck out 20 batters.

Offensively, Carlin is batting .273 with 18 runs and 15 RBIs. He also has a 19-game hit streak that is currently active.

8) Allie Boaz, volleyball

USF’s outside hitter earned a place on the all-Big East first team after a senior campaign that saw her lead the team with 296 kills.

Originally from Belleville, Ill., the powerful lefty played in 91 sets with a .287 attack percentage in her final collegiate year.

She posted double-digit kills in 15 matches and eclipsed the 20-kill mark four times, including a season-high 28 kills against Pittsburgh in the five-set win over Pittsburgh on Oct. 9.

7) Augustus Gilchrist, men’s basketball

Gilchrist led the Bulls in scoring at 13.4 points per game, attempting to replace Dominique Jones as the Bulls anchor on offense.

After he was suspended for having differences with head coach Stan Heath, South Florida went 1-2 without their star big-man in the lineup. He reconciled with Heath and helped lead the Bulls to a 10-23 record overall and a first round upset in the Big East tournament over Villanova.

The 6-10 junior has not declared for this year’s NBA draft, but is considered one of the top prospects in the Big East.

6) Shena Yang, women’s golf

Yang excelled all season and helped lead USF to a third-place finish at the Big East championships last week.

The sophomore from Wharton High School in Tampa opened the season with five consecutive top-five finishes, inclu- ding a win at the Sir Pizza Cards Challenge, which ended March 1.

She finished tied for fourth at the Cougar Classic, tied for third at the Marilynn Smith Sunflower Invitational and took home second at the USF-Waterlefe Invitational.

At the Big East championships last week she finished in fifth place, four strokes behind the tournament winners.