Future fests in Florida

From St. Augustine’s Harvest of Hope Fest to Sunrise’s Langerado Music Festival, local concerts and music festivals have thrived in Florida.

Yet, Harvest of Hope — which would’ve been held during spring break — has been canceled this year, and options like Tallahassee’s Fresh Fest have already passed.

Thankfully, other Florida festivals have started to announce lineups and sell tickets, and the famous Langerado Music Festival announced its return Tuesday after two years in limbo.

This should give students time to save up money and make their choices from various musical genres.

The Oracle looks at five of these Florida music festivals.

1. Suwannee Springfest

When: March 24-27

Where: Live Oak

Probably the closest date on the calendar is Suwannee Springfest, for fans of outdoor camping and folk bands.

For most students, the biggest draw would be alt-country act The Avett Brothers, who recently sold out their March 25 show at Ruth Eckerd Hall.

Tickets for March 26 — the main day featuring The Avett Brothers and 40 other bands — cost $75. Weeklong tickets, including camping, cost $110 in advance for students.

Live Oak’s Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park serves as the location for several other outdoor music festivals, including November’s Bear Creek Music & Art Festival.

2. Florida Music Festival

When: April 7-9

Where: Orlando

Offering a far smaller version of Austin’s South by Southwest, Orlando’s Florida Music Festival features conferences, concerts and showcases for small bands trying to make it big.

This year’s headlining acts include Seattle math rock indie band Minus the Bear and Hawaii reggae cover band Easy Star All Stars.

Students can also try their luck with unsigned bands’ sets, as more than 250 acts play at 15 different venues including The Social and The BackBooth’s FedEx Underground Stage.

To celebrate the festival’s 10-year anniversary, tickets currently cost $25 for the whole three-day event — which is about the same price as seeing many of its main acts in concert.

3. Tropical Heatwave

When: May 14

Where: Tampa

If you’re looking for a local and cheap option, WMNF’s 30th annual Tropical Heatwave offers an eclectic collection of genres on nine Ybor City stages in one day.

Athens rock trio The Whigs — who have played on David Letterman — and platinum record-selling ’90s alternative band Cracker provide the lineup’s two largest names.

Yet, the festival also includes such sprawling sounds as Columbus Springsteen-lovers Two Cow Garage, Japanese punk rockers Peelander-Z and gypsy swing band Caravan of Thieves.

Tropical Heatwave lasts from 4 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. in downtown venues like The Crowbar and New World Brewery, and tickets currently cost $30.

4. Langerado Music Festival

When: Oct. 8-9

Where: Sunrise

If students can’t afford tickets for Coachella, Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza — much less the drive or flight there — Langerado Music Festival provides an alternative in state.

The festival’s lineup has always hosted diverse artist combinations such as Built to Spill, Beastie Boys and Ben Folds in 2008.

Langerado Music Festival returns from a two-year hiatus following poor ticket sales and an attempt to move to Miami’s Bicentennial Park.

The festival’s $75 early bird passes sold out just hours after they were first offered, but $150 passes go on sale June 1, along with an announcement of the festival’s 22-artist lineup.

5. The Fest

When: Oct. 28-30

Where: Gainesville

The Fest turns a decade old this year as well, and though it’s the festival furthest away with a date nearing Halloween, it has already impressed with its large initial lineup.

Well-loved, hoarse-voiced Florida outfits Hot Water Music and Against Me! are the headliners so far. Many of the top-billed are reunited ’90s punk groups like Samiam and Lifetime, but other early confirmations also include acoustic and metal acts.

No Idea Records hosts the event over several of Gainesville’s small venues, and Tampa’s Transitions Art Gallery should once again offer Pre-Fest shows for concertgoers at home.

Ticket costs have yet to be announced, but if it follows previous years, The Fest will offer $60 advance tickets.