Bogan, Genus close out career in All-Star game

Wide receiver Dontavia Bogan and center Sampson Genus, who finished their USF careers in the 31-26 win over Clemson in the 2010 Meineke Car Care Bowl, played in their final college game Sunday in the Eastham Energy All-Star game in Tempe, Ariz.

Bogan and Genus played alongside some of the nation’s other college seniors in an attempt to impress the NFL scouts in attendance.

The inaugural Eastham Energy All-Star Game was won by the Stripes 40-34 over the Stars. Both former Bulls are on the Stripes roster, along with former Oregon Ducks and Ole Miss Rebels quarterback Jeremiah Masoli.

Hal Mumme, head coach at NCAA Division III McMurry University, coached the Stripes. McMurry previously made three stops in Division I, coaching Kentucky, Southeastern Louisiana State, and New Mexico State.

Genus, an offensive captain last season for the Bulls, was chosen by Mumme to be a captain for the Stripes team. Despite 60 pass attempts, the offensive line, anchored by Genus, only allowed one sack.

Blogger chooses Williams

ESPN.com Big East blogger Brian Bennett included former USF middle linebacker Jacquian Williams on his “Most improved players in 2010” list. The list also included Bilal Powell, the Lakeland product that played collegiately for Louisville.

Bennett previously listed South Florida as his favorite to win the conference next season in his “Way-too early 2011 Big East power rankings.” Bennett picked the Bulls to win their first-ever Big East title ahead of West Virginia and Syracuse.

Bulls add local receiver

Robinson High School wide receiver Ruben Gonzalez has joined Jefferson High receiver Andre Davis as the Bulls’ only 2011 commitments from Hillsborough County. Coach Skip Holtz visited Gonzalez and his family in their home Wednesday evening and received an oral commitment from Gonzalez.

Gonzalez was the top wide receiver for the Knights’ in both his junior and senior seasons, racking up 651 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior and 599 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior. Gonzalez is 6-foot-3, 195 pounds and also played safety for the Knights.

USF adds infielder

Baseball coach Lelo Prado picked up an early commitment from Bishop McLaughlin middle infielder Dre Leal Wednesday night. Leal is only a sophomore, but has committed to play for USF.

Leal started as a middle infielder and served as backup catcher as a freshman for Bishop McLaughlin, which reached the Class 2A regional finals last year. Leal batted .238 as a freshman No. 2 hitter, scoring 26 runs and batting in nine.

“He is an outstanding baseball player with some of the best hands I have seen,” Nick Rodriguez, Leal’s high school coach, said to the St. Petersburg Times. “He loves to play the game, and as he continues to develop, he will be a great player at that level.”