USF picks up two more commits

USF coach Skip Holtz walked away from a successful recruiting weekend with two more players verbally committing to play for his 2011-12 team. The new Bulls include wide receiver Andre Davis from Jefferson High School and defensive end Clavion Nelson from South Broward High School in Hollywood.

Davis is the second wide receiver to commit to USF, following Alex Mut from Punta Gorda Charlotte High School in Punta Gorda. Scout.com rates Davis as the 42nd best wide receiver prospect in the nation and a four-star recruit.

Florida State, South Carolina, West Virginia and Rutgers were also in the running to sign the 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior before he committed to USF while on his official campus visit.

Davis joins a talented receiving corps that will welcome back Sterling Griffin and A.J. Love after the two players missed last season with injuries. Former USF receiver Dontavia Bogan led the Bulls with 685 receiving yards and six touchdowns in 12 games last season.

Nelson will help replace the loss of senior defensive end Craig Marshall, who recorded four sacks and an interception last season, despite missing four games because of a foot injury.

Nelson is rated as a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, recording 14.5 sacks in his senior season with the Bulldogs. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound end chose USF over Illinois and Kansas.

McKeefery now a Vol

Former USF head strength and conditioning coach Ron McKeefery has taken the same position with the University of Tennessee.

McKeefery left USF after 11 seasons in which it never lost an overtime game. He also led the team to accomplish such feats as a 916-719 advantage over opponents in the fourth quarter.

“I am very excited to be at the University of Tennessee (UT) and to work with someof the best student-athletes in America,” McKeefery said in UT’s announcement.”Coach (Derek) Dooley, the staff and administration have the utmost character and integrity, and I am eager to begin working with the student-athletes and to contribute to the positive impact that the university is having in their lives.”

Golden rejoins Holtz

McKeefery’s replacement, Mike Golden, joined Holtz’s staff Jan. 11 after previously working under Holtz at Connecticut, South Carolina and East Carolina.

Golden has 11 years of experience as a head strength and conditioning coach and also worked as an assistant coach for the USA men’s powerlifting team, which has won five world championships.