Foot injury sidelines DE Marshall

A suddenly rejuvanated USF suffered a big blow Monday on the injury front.

Senior defensive end Craig Marshall, who leads the team with four sacks and eight tackles for loss this season, suffered a broken bone in his foot while playing against Cincinnati and will be out indefinitely, the team confirmed Monday after he underwent X-rays.

Marshall, whose progress will be monitored on a week-by-week basis, is scheduled to have a pin inserted in his foot today.

Marshall’s absence could mean senior Patrick Hampton, who has two sacks and three tackles for loss this season, could start in his place. Redshirt freshman Ryne Giddins, who has three tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks this season, could also see a more substantial role.

USF’s next practice is Wednesday, and the team hosts Rutgers on Nov. 3.

Daniels gets conference honor

USF redshirt sophomore quarterback B.J. Daniels was named Big East Offensive Player of the Week following a career-high four touchdowns (two rushing, two passing) in the Bulls’ 38-30 win at Cincinnati on Friday night.

Daniels went 13-of-16 for 286 passing yards, and his 272.7 efficiency rating was a career-high.

“It felt like a monkey off my back,” Daniels said. “Especially as an offense, to get into the end zone. We don’t care how we did it, just to put up some points was real important.”

Women’s soccer player, too

Junior forward Venicia Reid was named the Big East Offensive Player of the Week after totaling six points in two games over the weekend.

Reid had a goal and an assist in a 2-1 victory over Syracuse on Sunday and did the same in a 2-0 over St. John’s on Friday.

The Bulls, who earned the Big East American Division’s No. 3 seed in the Big East tournament, have a bye and will travel to play Georgetown on Oct. 31.