Bulls getting healthy

Senior Dontavia Bogan, still in a boot nursing a right ankle injury, didn’t practice Sunday but coach Skip Holtz didn’t rule him out for this Saturday’s game against Western Kentucky.

Meanwhile, several other Bulls nursing injuries are

healing. Senior tackle Jake Sims (knee), senior defensive end Craig Marshall (ankle) and senior defensive tackle Terrell McClain all missed portions of practice last week but practiced Sunday.

As for Bogan, Holtz said his status is dependent on the swelling in his right ankle.

“Right now, it’s still a week out. A lot of things can happen,” he said. “They put him in that boot to make sure we turn and get as speedy a recovery as we can. We don’t know where exactly that is. We’ll find out as the week goes on.”

“I don’t know whether we’re going to have him or not,” he said. “We’re still playing like we don’t have him. I just

don’t know.”

Strong suit

If there’s one thing that sticks out about winless Western Kentucky, it’s junior running back Bobby Rainey, who has 444 rushing yards (6.1 yards per carry and three straight 100-yard games) and five touchdowns in three games.

Rainey has done damage against good teams, with the Hilltoppers’ three previous games against Kentucky, Indiana and Nebraska, which is ranked No. 7 in the coaches’ poll.

“He’s a stocky, powerful running back,” Holtz said. “He’s a threat.”

Back in business

After having Friday and Saturday off, Holtz said it didn’t take long for his team to get back into the grind of practice.

“I tried to give them a couple days away from (practice), to kind of mentally, physically recoup from everything,” Holtz said. “I thought they were really focused and dialed in tonight with what we have to do. It’s nice to get back into game week.”