Linebacker commits to Bulls

USF coach Skip Holtz’s staff received its 12th verbal commitment of the 2011 class this weekend.

Antoine Pozniak, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound outside linebacker from Oak Ridge Military Academy in North Carolina, verbally committed to the Bulls on Saturday, according to usfbullseye.com.

Pozniak, who also had an offer from Illinois (according to Rivals.com), is expected to enroll at USF next spring.

“I really like the coaching staff,” Pozniak said to usfbullseye.com. “I have developed a relationship with them over the past few months. I visited down there about a month ago and I really liked it. I think they have the right things there for me to be successful.”

The Bulls graduate three key linebackers next year in Donte Spires, Jacquian Williams and Sabbath Joseph.

Pozniak said the USF coaches also said he could play defensive end, according to usfbullseye.com.

“When I get there, I will play wherever I am needed. I haven’t really had any problem putting on size. I will leave it up to the coaches to decide,” he said.

Pozniak’s commitment comes after the Bulls received a commitment from three-star offensive lineman Max Lang last week. National Signing Day is Feb. 3.

Men’s soccer beats No. 1 Akron in exhibition

USF beat No. 1 Akron in an exhibition Saturday in front of 2,300 fans at the USF Soccer Stadium.

Redshirt junior midfielder Bernardo Anor scored twice, and goalkeeper Jeff Attinella had 10 saves.

USF opens the regular season Wednesday at home against Florida Gulf Coast.

Volleyball splits

After a loss to No. 15 FSU in its season opener Saturday, USF rebounded by sweeping Florida A & M 3-0 on Sunday.

Sophomore Maija Strazdina earned her first double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs, while serving up a match-high three aces. Freshman Andrea Rodriguez Gomez added 10 kills.

Women’s soccer stays perfect

Junior Chelsea Klotz scored two goals to lead USF (3-0-0) to a 4-0 win over Southeast Missouri State (2-1-0) in the second and final game of the 2010 Racer Classic on Sunday afternoon.

The Bulls beat Murray State 4-2 on Friday. USF returns home to face in-state rival UCF on Friday.