Tuskers sign ex-USF stars Reed, Buie

The United Football League’s Orlando-based Florida Tuskers, who signed former USF quarterback Matt Grothe on Friday, also signed ex-USF stars J.R. Reed and Jarriett Buie earlier this week.

Reed, a standout safety at USF from 2000-03, was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL draft and played in the 2005 Super Bowl as a rookie.

“J.R. Reed was a heck of a football player in college and had a successful stint in the NFL,” Tuskers head coach Jay Gruden said in a statement. “His reputation is that of an extremely intelligent player who has a knack for always being in the right place at the right time – almost like having another coach on the field. Obviously, we believe he will be a valuable addition to the Tusker defense.”

Reed, now 28, missed the 2006 season after a serious leg injury, but returned to the NFL in 2006 before getting cut by the Eagles in 2008.

Before the 2009 season, he returned to USF as a defensive graduate assistant under former coach Jim Leavitt.

Buie, who played at USF from 2006-08 and spent 2009 on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ practice squad, started 13 games for the Bulls and reached career highs in tackles (31), tackles for loss (8) and sacks (5) during his senior season.

The UFL is in its second year of existence. The Tuskers open an eight-game season in September.

Men’s soccer unveils schedule

USF coach George Kiefer released his team’s 2010 schedule Wednesday.

The Bulls, who went 14-4-3 and spent most of last season ranked in the top 10, will play six regular-season games against teams that made the 2009 NCAA tournament – Saint Louis, Stony Brook, Ohio State, Connecticut, Louisville and St. John’s.

USF will also face national runner-up Akron in an exhibition Aug. 28 before the season opener against Florida Gulf Coast at home Sept. 1.