Bye-Bye ‘Betty’ the end of the ABC show

Television will lose some of its beauty when ABC’s “Ugly Bettyu” airs its final episode tonight.

ABC chose in January to not renew the show, which illuminates contemporary issues like the unconventional family unit and gay teen discovery, for a fifth season after a declining viewership.

Executive producer and creator Silvio Horta originally created the characters for a Columbian telenovela, “Betty la Fea.” in 1999, but adapted the show for American television in 2006.

America Ferrera headlines the show as Betty Suarez – a relatable twenty-something struggling at a New York fashion magazine as she quests to become a serious reporter. With a family that’s most important in her life and romances that come and go, she realizes it’s not easy to separate her career and personal life.

After becoming an instant success with viewers during its first season, the primetime comedy hit a wall when the 2007 Hollywood writers’ strike halted production in the middle of the second season. That, along with changing time slots, led to a steady decline in ratings, causing the network to pull the show.

But acting didn’t affect ratings. In addition to making Ferrera a celebrity, the show offered a supporting cast of accomplished actors including Judith Light, Tony Plana and Vanessa Williams and break out stars Becki Newton, Ana Ortz, Michael Urie and Mark Indelicato.

Although some cast members including Urie and Indelicato voiced their upset via Twitter, Ferrera may have addressed the cancellation most politically correct.

“I think we found a really good sort of peace with [Betty] in her journey and now that it is the way it is, it feels like it was always meant to be,” she said to the Associated Press.

Tonight’s episode has a lot of ground to cover if it aims to wrap up the characters’ storylines. Indelicato posted this on his Twitter on Tuesday evening: “You will be left with hope and happiness. You’ll be wanting more!”

Catch the series finale of “Ugly Betty” tonight at 10 on ABC. For more information about the show, visit abc.go.com/shows/ugly-betty.