St. Patrick’s pubs and parties

If you missed this weekend’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade, don’t worry. It’s not the only event turning Tampa green this month.

Many bars and other locations are channeling the St. Patrick’s Day spirit with drink specials, green dye and good music.

The Oracle looks at Wednesday’s events. Try adding a few of these to your holiday pub endeavors.

***

Four Green Fields

Four Green Fields is arguably the most authentic Irish Pub in Tampa Bay. The 18-year-old establishment boasts a thatched roof, native Irish dcor and authentic live music.

With the appearance of an old Irish cottage and lively atmosphere, this South Tampa staple is a St. Patrick’s Day favorite. This year, it has an Irish buffet from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for $14.95.

Live music from Dunn and Pat and Andy Dunlea begins at noon and ends at 2 a.m. There is a $10 cover charge.

Amanda Moore

Skipper’s Smokehouse

Skipper’s Smokehouse, just northwest of campus on Skipper Road, doesn’t have any special St. Patrick’s Day festivities planned this week, but it’s still up for celebrating Wednesday nights with the best of them.

For those who want to celebrate the holiday in unique fashion, the bar hosts a Wednesday night reggae show featuring the band Impulse. According to its Web site, Skipper’s has hosted “island night” every Wednesday for 23 years, and that’s not changing for St. Patrick’s Day.

Feel free to get in the spirit with a pint of Guinness, but the special Wednesday at Skipper’s will be Red Stripe beer. The show starts at 8 p.m. and costs $5.

– Joe Polito

Brass Tap

Inhabiting the inner streets of the The Shops at Wiregrass on Wednesday will be two refrigerated beer trailers and plenty of free stuff.

The Brass Tap is hosting an Irish street party with festive food and live music, as well as a variety of beer, wine and cigars. Doors open at noon and close at 2 a.m. Games, contests and prizes round out this St. Patrick’s Day fest.

There is a $5 cover for the event, and a portion of the proceeds go to a local charity.

– Issa Luckett

MacDinton’s

Advertising with the slogan, “the place to be seen in ur green,” MacDinton’s combines the best Irish food, drink and music – including bagpipes and Irish dance from 2 p.m. until close.

To celebrate the holiday, there is a $10 Irish buffet starting at 11 a.m. and Irish Whiskey specials all day and night, according to its Web site.

There is a $10 cover charge beginning at 5 p.m.

– Emily Handy

O’Brien’s Irish Pub

This pub chain is offering three local parties in Tampa Bay, Brandon and Plant City.

At each location, there will be traditional Irish festivities from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. And from 4 p.m. to 3 a.m., tents will be set up with live music, including dancers and bagpipes. There will be traditional Irish food and green beer to wash it down.

There is a $10 cover charge in effect after 4 p.m. at all locations.

– Issa Luckett

The Dubliner Irish Pub

You don’t have to read James Joyce’s novel, ‘’Dubliners,” to get a feel for Ireland with this Citrus Park pub of the same name so close to campus. There will be plenty of action for St. Patrick’s Day.

The pub begins the festivities with an Irish luncheon from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. While feasting on shepherd’s pie, patrons can participate in various contests, like Irish sheep racing, and watch live Irish dance performances.

With Guinness brewery memorabilia and a dining area made to resemble an Irish cottage, visitors get a native Dublin experience. A $5 cover charge begins at 4 p.m., which includes one free Guinness, Harp or Smithwick’s.

James Geurts

The Garrison Channel

The Garrison Channel in Tampa will be going green for St. Patrick’s Day – literally.

For the second straight year, 10 pounds of powdered biodegradable green dye will be poured into the channel from a barge carrying the Rough Riders’ Teddy Roosevelt float.

Festivities start around 5:30 p.m. Aside from Irish dining, beverages and music, people will need to lookout for beads on the wharf. Tampa’s newest fireboat will also make an appearance, shooting green water into the new shimmering shamrock water.

– Rachel Kaylor

Starship cruise

The Yacht Starship dinner cruise is a more expensive way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, and it leaves just in time to watch the dye display in the Garrison Channel.

The cruise departs at 5:45 p.m. and serves Irish food, including corned beef and cabbage, Irish potatoes and Irish soda bread. Guests 21 and up receive one free green beer.

The trip requires as much green as it gives, however. The dinner cruise costs $39.95 per person. To make reservations, visit the Web site at yachtstarship.com.

-Emily Handy