Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes

The transformation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic character into a modern-day action hero coupled with satirical undertones of the supporting roles helps to keep this movie a success.

Portraying London’s best detective, Sherlock Holmes, Robert Downey Jr.’s personality shines throughout the movie with his witty remarks, sarcasm and intelligence.

The movie, directed by Guy Ritchie, chronicles the sleuth’s – who resembles the character House of the FOX drama, ‘House M.D.’ – every move as he works to take down the blood-hungry Lord Blackwood, played by Mark Strong.

In one of the first scenes, the audience receives insight into Holmes’ mind about how he will take down his opponent. This scene is only the first of many step-by-step combat experiences that heighten suspense.

Like many heroes, Holmes has a best friend and partner. Dr. Watson, played by Jude Law, entertains the audience with his unconventional sidekick ways, but he also adds some explosive excitement through fight scenes and stunts.

Their constant flirting keeps the audience laughing and on their toes.

Other characters like Rachel McAdams, who plays Irene Adler, comes off as smart, sexy and witty. She’s truly believable as Holmes’ equal.

Though McAdams is well known for her romantic roles in movies such as ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’ and ‘The Notebook,’ the actress delivers quite a punch in this film as both a powerful manipulator and strong combatant.’

Although the movie was very engaging, there could’ve been more mystery involved rather than allowing the audience to anticipate what was going to happen next.

The rollercoaster-like movie contained climactic points followed by dull moments.

The set design could’ve been a little more colorful. The movie, which depicted the rainy city of London, was dark and often boring.

Despite these shortcomings, the movie was excellent. The actors did a wonderful job maintaining the focus of the audience.

It’s a great movie for everyone, regardless of age, gender or prior knowledge of the detective stories. Case Closed.