Student club hopes to certify 100 in CPR

USF’s American Red Cross Club (ARCUSF) hopes to certify more than 100 individuals in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in one day.

Participants will learn CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) skills during the “CPR 100” training session Saturday in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The purpose of the event is to get the whole University community involved, said Ramzi Lotfi, president of ARCUSF. The goal is to get as many people certified as possible to increase awareness and preparedness for emergency situations on campus.

“The first mass CPR/AED Certification is empowering our USF students and faculty to be prepared to react to someone in cardiac arrest until emergency medical services arrives,” he said. “These skills could potentially save someone’s life, and the more people that know how to use them, the better off our campus is.”

Red Cross Tampa Bay Chapter liaison Natasha Salazar said she has volunteered for the Red Cross for 10 years and has never seen an event of this magnitude on campus.

“There have been so many cardiac incidents on campus, and in situations where students or faculty were nearby and knew CPR, people were saved,” Salazar said.

A future goal, Lofti said, would be for ARCUSF to break the world record of 3,000 CPR registrations in one day.

The training session costs $15 per person in advance or $20 at the door. The normal cost for CPR certification through the Red Cross is $60, Lotfi said.

Tickets can be purchased by contacting Lotfi at (813)-849-8515.