WOMEN’S SOCCER GAME TIME

When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
Where: USF Soccer Stadium
TV/Radio: BullsVision/WBUL

There’s no looking ahead for the USF women’s soccer team this week, said coach Denise Schilte-Brown.

Despite hosting No. 13 Rutgers Sunday, the Bulls (4-4-2, 1-1-1) are focused on their first test this weekend: a matchup against Seton Hall (4-5-1, 0-2-1) on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the USF Soccer Stadium.

“The Big East is tough and it doesn’t matter if you’re ranked at the bottom or ranked at the top, it’s how you’re going to play that day,” she said. “(Seton Hall) could come out and it could be the best game of the year for them, and they are capable of being a very good team.”

The match marks the second time in school history that the Bulls and Pirates face off, with Seton Hall winning the previous meeting 4-1.

The Bulls face Rutgers (8-1-2, 2-0-1) at 1 p.m. Sunday. The Scarlet Knights will be the second ranked opponent USF has faced all season.

However, sophomore Valorie O’Brien, who has started all 10 games this season, said it’s important for the team to stay focused on Seton Hall.

“(We’re) focusing on one game at a time,” she said. “There’s a lot of the season left, and it doesn’t really matter about the previous games. Just take it one game at a time and come out with a win to improve our record.”

Rutgers has not lost since a 2-1 defeat to No. 21 San Diego on Sept. 11. USF is coming off a 2-1 victory over West Virginia.

“This is that time of year where you want to keep things short and sharp,” Schilte-Brown said. “I thought we created a lot of good chances against (West Virginia). We’re moving the ball really well and creating some really great things in our possession style of play. (Our play) is getting better and better.”

— Johnathon Mulder