USF to interview provost candidate

An applicant for the executive vice president and provost position will interview today from 1:45 to 2:45 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center 2709.

The University community is invited to attend a presentation and open forum with the applicant, Donna Kuizenga, said Karen Holbrook, vice president of the Office of Research and Innovation, in an e-mail to faculty.

The Office of Research and Innovation is conducting the search. Holbrook and Associate Dean for Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs Michael Barber are co-chairs of the Search Advisory Committee.

Kuizenga is the dean of the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Massachusetts Boston. She will be on campus today and Friday attending meetings with University faculty.

Kuizenga said this visit will be her first time at USF.

“Interviews are always a process – people getting to know each other,” Kuizenga said. “I think the University community wants to know what I think about the provost job and higher education. For me, it’s about getting better acquainted with the University.”

Kuizenga said she learned a week ago that she was selected for an interview.

The search committee, comprising of 15 individuals from various campus departments, has been reviewing 50 applicants since April 30.

Applicants are from a variety of business corporations and universities including the University of Florida, Purdue, Clemson University and Louisiana State University.

Provost Ralph Wilcox reapplied for the position, but Holbrook said it would be unfair to consider him a favorite among the applicants.

Wilcox, who was vice provost under Renu Khator, became the provost when Khator left to become the University of Houston’s president in 2007.

Both Wilcox and Kuizenga are finalists in the search for provost, Barber said.

Wilcox will be interviewed at another public forum from 1:15 to 2:15 p.m. on Thursday in MSC 2709.

Rhonda Hendrix, the special assistant to the Office of Research and Innovation, said the search committee was unable to say when the provost would be chosen.

Hendrix said USF President Judy Genshaft will make that decision.

Holbrook said Genshaft can choose the length of a provost’s term, which is usually three to five years.

A video of the forum with Kuizenga can be viewed on USF Netcast at netcast.usf.edu.

Holbrook said in the e-mail to faculty, “We hope you will take this opportunity to participate in this very important event.”