Jones left off of USA roster

The roster of the 12-player USA team that will compete in the 2009 World University Games was announced Friday, but USF junior guard Dominique Jones’ name wasn’t called.

“I have a lot of respect for the selection committee,” Jones said. “I felt like they did what they needed to do. They selected what they felt was the best team.”

Jones received  an invitation from the 2009 USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee to attend a training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo., where he competed against 15 other premier college players from across the country in hopes of earning a roster spot.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, chairman of the committee, said it wasn’t easy to decide among the talent that was there.

“It was one of the most difficult decisions we as a committee have had because the team is so balanced,” Boeheim said in a statement. “It’s probably one of the better groups of wing players we have had and all the guys are great players.”

University of Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan was selected as head coach of the team and echoed Boeheim’s sentiments.

“First of all, all 16 players at trials are very good players,” Ryan said in a statement. “Everybody that competed worked very hard against one another at a very high level. The toughest part was getting down to the 12 players.”

The three other Big East players who were invited to camp, West Virginia forward Da’Sean Butler, Villanova guard Corey Fisher and Marquette forward Lazar Hayward, made the USA team roster.

Jones led the Bulls in scoring his first two seasons and was named a Big East Conference Honorable Mention for the 2008-2009 season.

Jones said he wasn’t too disappointed with the decision.

“I was kind of in a win-win situation,” he said. “If I did make the team, I’d get to go overseas and be a part of the USA team. But if I didn’t, I’d just come back to USF and continue to go to work so I could be a better performer for my team.”