Espinosa transfers from USF

The USF men’s basketball team lost its third player from last year’s team Monday when
coach Stan Heath announced freshman forward Eladio Espinosa’s transfer.

Espinosa, listed at 6-foot-7, 220 pounds, played in 31 games, averaging 1.8 points
and 2.9 rebounds. He made 12 starts.

“We encouraged Eladio to stay at USF,” Heath said in a statement. “However, Eladio felt he would have a better opportunity to play more in another situation. We will do everything we can to assist Eladio. We appreciate his efforts this past season.”

With Espinosa’s departure, Heath has two scholarships remaining to award before next season.

The Bulls also lost guards Mike Mercer, who was dismissed after a drug arrest in January, and Gaby Belardo, who transferred to Canisius.

McKenzie remains positive after knee injury

Former USF linebacker Tyrone McKenzie continues rehabbing a knee injury suffered May 6 during the New England Patriots’ rookie camp.

McKenzie, who started in all of USF’s 13 games last season, is out for the season after tearing his ACL. He was selected by the Patriots in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Former USF defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said McKenzie remains hopeful that he’ll be able to return healthy after rehab.

“I was in Tampa last week. I talked to him,” Burnham said to the Boston Herald. “He was very positive. He said he was going to use the year to study and learn the defense, be around, and learn what it is to be a pro football player.”

Last season, McKenzie totaled 121 tackles — 34 for a loss — and helped the Bulls to a 41-14 victory over Memphis in the magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl in December.

Softball players earn honors

Despite failing to reach the NCAA tournament, three USF softball players earned season recognition Friday.

Senior second baseman Britta Giddens, freshman outfielder Janine Richardson and catcher Cat Olnick were named to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA)
All-Region team.

Giddens led the Bulls in batting average (.378), hits (59), home runs (6), doubles (13), RBIs (33), and slugging percentage (.577), Richardson led the team with 36 runs scored and Olnick was second on the team with a .364 average and four home runs.

The NFCA awards are voted on by coaches from each region, and each player selected to an All-Region team is eligible for the association’s All-American team.