An ‘Obsessed’ minute with Ali Larter

In her new movie Obsessed, Ali Larter is following in the footsteps of such femme fatales as Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction and Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. Larter (Heroes) plays Lisa Sheridan, a working woman who stalks her boss, Derek, played by Idris Elba. She took a minute to talk with the Oracle about her new role.

The Oracle: What kind of research did you do for the role?
Ali Larter: I had a lot of discussions with the producers of figuring out why (Lisa) does what she does and making sure that this character was really believable, that you could understand her point of view and why she does the things that she does.

The movie on the whole to me, it is an imaginary office romance that ends up having disastrous consequences, and we try to examine the different points of view of the
different people involved.

We wanted to figure out what made her feel the way that she feels, and make sure that Derek’s character, Idris Elba’s character, gives her enough reason to believe that he is in love with her, and she kind of goes down this path of delusions and things that the audience may find that is irrational behavior. To her, it has to be completely rational.

For me, it was always making sure that this is something where it’s like I take the movie really seriously, but I try not to take myself seriously and to really have fun so that people, when they watch this movie, they see the enjoyment I’ve had creating this character.