FIU too much for USF

USF’s women’s tennis will enter the Big East championships after losing three of their last four matches.

No. 40 Florida International won its 10th consecutive match by defeating USF 6-1 at College Park Courts on Saturday, clinching a perfect 11-0 home record for FIU (15-5) this season.

After taking all three doubles matches, the Golden Panthers went 5-for-6 on singles points en route to an easy win.

“It was a really tough match and (FIU) just has a better team than we do this year,” said Bulls coach Agustin Moreno.  “Playing in Miami is always difficult, too, with the high temperatures and the humidity.”

Natalia Guevara’s 6-1, 7-5 victory over FIU’s Maria Pazo in the fourth singles position was the only USF (6-12) win. USF sophomore and No. 48-ranked Irene Rehberger saw her 10-match win streak come to an end, falling 3-6, 6-3 and 7-5 to Liset Brito. Rehberger is 10-2 on the season.

“Both (Guevara and Rehberger) played really great,” Moreno said.  “Either player could have won, but Irene (Rehberger) just didn’t make the big shots when she had to.”

The win for Brito, who is No. 70 in the nation, was her eighth straight and her 16th in 17 matches bringing her record to 17-3 on the season.

The Bulls take the court Thursday in the Big East Conference tournament, at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.

“We are going to take the same approach we have had all season this week in practice,” Moreno said. “I know that we’re going to be competitive in this tournament.”

Since USF joined the Big East Conference in 2005, it’s had one first place finish and two second place finishes.