Bulls await opponent

After about a month of scrambling for an at-large bid to the Women’s NCAA Tournament, all the South Florida women’s basketball team has to do now is wait, thanks to its gaining of a first-round bye in the 2009 women’s Big East tournament.

The Bulls left campus today for the XL Center in Hartford, Conn., where the 16-team tournament will be held. The No. 8 seed USF will face the winner of 16th-seeded Cincinnati and No. 9 seed Marquette.

With the strength of the Big East, nothing is certain about which team the Bulls will face. However, if USF faces Marquette, it will be the second time this year. South Florida lost twice to the Golden Eagles this season.

One more victory would likely seal the at-large bid into the NCAA tournament. In this week’s espn.com’s “Bracketology,” the Bulls are projected as a 12th seed playing against the Florida Gators on March 21 in the Midwest regional. Before the season began, USF was predicted to finish 12th in the Big East.

The Cincinnati and Marquette game tips off 2 p.m. Friday. The Bulls will face the winner Saturday at 2 p.m. Both games will be broadcast on bigeast.org.

Depending on this weekend’s events, the Bulls could still make it to the Women’s National Invitational Tournament, which plans to release its bracket March 16.

The NCAA Tournament bracket will be released on Selection Sunday, March 15.