USF faces important game against DePaul

There is a lot of uncertainty about where the University of South Florida women’s basketball team will end up in the postseason. With a 90-75 loss at West Virginia on Saturday, USF’s back is against the wall in terms of making the NCAA Tournament.

The Bulls have three more regular season games to pick up much-needed wins, and the first opportunity will come tonight when USF (18-9, 5-8) faces DePaul (20-7, 8-5) in Chicago at 8.

The Blue Demons have made a case for an NCAA Tournament berth with wins over Pittsburgh and West Virginia — teams the Bulls were unable to defeat. USF has played better on the road this year than at home, winning three of its last five, including a 59-56 win at Rutgers on Jan. 31.

According to the Jeff Sagarin rankings, the Bulls have an RPI of 37, but are 0-5 against top 25 teams.

USF’s leading scorers, junior guard Janae Stokes and senior guard Shantia Grace, will look to continue their offensive production and help the Bulls climb the Big East standings, as they sit in 10th position.

A loss tonight would move the Bulls closer to the 12th position they were projected to finish in preseason and put more pressure on them to do well in the Big East tournament in March.

There are a lot of variables involved with USF’s remaining postseason chances. The only thing that’s sure is that a loss tonight will make it much tougher to earn an NCAA
Tournament spot.