USF beats UCF in overtime

No. 12 USF 1, UCF 0

Last season, the South Florida men’s soccer team beat the Central Florida Knights 5-2 at the USF soccer stadium. Senior Kevon Neaves scored two goals in the win.

On Tuesday, USF went to the UCF Soccer Complex and picked up a 1-0 win, but needed Neaves to score in overtime to secure it.

“I thought UCF did a great job tonight,” USF coach George Kiefer said. “I thought in the second half that our guys were all over them.”

The Bulls (8-2-2) had opportunities to score in regulation, but were unable to put the ball in the net.

Senior Jordan Seabrook had a scoring opportunity in the 37th minute, but UCF goalkeeper Sean Johnson made a diving save to keep the game knotted up.

It was the third time in the last four games that USF has gone to overtime, posting two wins and a draw in those games.

In the extra period, the Bulls used a different formation, which helped secure the win, Kiefer said.

“We talked to our guys in overtime about not being anxious,” Kiefer said. “We switched the formation and had Jordan play on the right side in overtime to try and get another good attacking player on, and Jordan crossed the ball over to Kevon, who headed the ball home.”

Neaves crossed the field near the 18-yard box and headed a pass from Seabrook into an overtime winner.

The Bulls’ teamwork led to the win, though, Neaves said.

“Our team plays the game the way the game should be played,” he said.

The Bulls outshot the Knights 9-5 on the night and had three shots on goal.

USF has been beaten only once in its previous nine contests and has held opponents scoreless in all but four games this year.

Correspondent Phil Neary contributed to this story.