Four Bulls compete at NCAAs

Four members of the South Florida track and field team traveled to Des Moines for a trip to the NCAA outdoor championships. The Bulls, however, fell short in their three events.

Senior Taylar Stallings, junior Sean Young, sophomore Mikese Morse and freshman Denise Von Eynatten qualified for the NCAA championships with strong performances in the NCAA East Regionals in Tallahassee two weeks ago.

Young and Von Eynatten qualified for the finals in the pole vault, and Morse qualified in the long jump.

Morse was the only Bull to finish in the top 10 of an event by placing ninth in the long jump with a mark of 7.73 meters.

Stallings wrapped up her college career as a Bull by going to the outdoor championships for the second time in the discus throw. She fell short of reaching the finals.

Von Eynatten reached the NCAA championships for the second time this season. The first was at the indoor championships in March.

“All of them competed real well,” coach Warren Bye said in a press release. “They did a nice job and stepped up when they needed to step up. It’s great that they made the finals and have a shot at it.”

Morse did not win an individual title, but earned an individual honor.

He was named an All-American on Thursday at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

Morse is the first male to become an All-American since Jimmy Baxter in 2002, and the second All-American Bull in the long jump.

Morse won the Big East Championship in the long jump last month. Morse was one of two Bulls to win a conference championship, along with junior Sean Young, who won the pole vault competition.

Morse holds the school long jump record of 7.90 meters, which he set at the NCAA championships.