Ecks released from hospital

Junior pitcher Cristi Ecks was released Friday from University Community Hospital. She had collapsed at practice Tuesday.

“She is home. She is happy and she’s doing great,” Ecks’ uncle Ernesto J. de la Fe said.

He said Ecks’ spirits are high.

“She’s even planning on trying to go to school (today),” de la Fe said. “Right now, she’s home and resting.”

Ecks’ condition was severe – she lay on the field unresponsive for nearly three minutes. USF Certified Athletic Trainers administered CPR and used an Automated External Defibrillator to give Ecks a shock.

When she was transported by ambulance to UCH, however, Ecks was responsive and stable. She was held at UCH for two nights to undergo testing and stay under observation.

Ecks has been a staple of the USF pitching staff during her three seasons as a Bull. She has compiled a 42-22 record and 476 strikeouts. In 2008, Ecks is 7-3 with 102 strikeouts and a 1.21 ERA.

There is no timetable for a return, but de la Fe said that is the last thing on anybody’s mind.

“There are a lot of decisions that need to be made by a lot of doctors. That’s going to be something that they talk about in the future,” he said. “Right now, everybody is just happy to have Cristi home.”

De la Fe said Ecks’ return home would not have happened without a quick reaction by everyone involved.

“I just want to say ‘thank you’ to coach (Ken) Eriksen, the staff, (team trainer) Kelly Cox and just everybody,” he said. “We’re all just so glad that she is back home.”