Pitcher Cristi Ecks remains in hospital

Junior pitcher Cristi Ecks remains at University Community Hospital (UCH) and is in good spirits- three days after collapsing at practice.

According to an e-mail from South Florida Sports Information Director Chris Freet, USF cannot legally announce anything because Ecks is still under medical supervision.

“She is a ‘no information patient,’ meaning that the hospital cannot legally announce anything either,” Freet said in the e-mail.

On Tuesday, Ecks was participating in routine drills when she collapsed. For almost three minutes, Ecks was on the field and unresponsive.

“She was unresponsive, meaning that she was not breathing and she did not have a pulse,” Senior Associate Director of Athletics Barry Clemens said Wednesday. “They administered CPR, which is (a combination of) mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions. Then they attached the (Automated External Defibrillator), which prompted (trainer) Kelly (Cox) to continue doing CPR and then prompted a shock to be given.”

Ecks regained consciousness and was responsive and stable when she was transported by ambulance to UCH.

Ecks will continue to undergo medical tests to determine what caused her collapse.

“There have not been any signs or symptoms that occurred that led up to this,” Clemens said. “We don’t know (if Ecks has any undiagnosed medical conditions) at this time, and that is why she’s in good hands and in the care of our physicians from cardiology and team physicians that got involved immediately. They will remain by her and hopefully determine the cause and see what can be done about it.”