A perfect start to Big East play

Last season, the Bulls went 3-3 at the beginning of conference play. This season, the Bulls are undefeated against Big East opponents, going 4-0 against St. John’s University and Seton Hall University.

“It’s a lot different from last year. Last year we were struggling and this year we’re beating them 9-1,” sophomore third baseman Alison Savarese said.

The Bulls defeated Seton Hall 3-0 and 9-1 in a Sunday doubleheader and defeated St. John’s 2-1 and 7-0 Friday.

Coach Ken Eriksen was impressed with the aggressiveness and relentless approach the USF softball team showed at the plate against St. John’s and Seton Hall.

“We’re getting there, we haven’t arrived yet,” Eriksen said. “We’re showing more aggression.”

Senior pitcher Courtney Mosch made the most of her two at bats against Seton Hall. Mosch hit a double to centerfield, scoring junior second baseman Britta Giddens and sophomore third baseman Allison Savarese to give the Bulls a 4-0 lead in the first inning.

Later, Mosch hit another double, scoring Giddens, Saravese, and Jojo Medina to defeat Seton Hall 9-1 in the sixth inning.

“(Mosch) was a little bit passive in her approach to the plate the past five six games. Both games she was aggressive and it paid off,” Eriksen said.

Savarese, along with Mosch, contributed to the Bulls’ winning effort, adding five RBI, five hits and four runs over the weekend.

“I’ve been doing a lot better, I just have to wait on it. I’m getting on base and that’s what we’re trying to do,” Savarese said.

Despite a sixth-inning rally by the Pirates, freshman pitcher Capri Catalano was able to strike out senior outfielder Ashley Constantini with two runners in scoring position to keep the Pirates one run behind the Bulls.

Along with scoring runs and reaching base, the Bulls’ pitching staff continues to be consistent on the mound – striking out 23 batters, and allowing 14 hits in four games in the conference.

“(I) can’t say enough about the staff,” Eriksen said. “It says a lot about what we’re doing right now.”

The Bulls (29-12) held their opponents to just two runs, outscoring the Red Storm and the Pirates 22-2 this weekend.

“We’re getting on base; we just have to keep driving them in,” Eriksen said. “All along we’ve said that defense and pitching is going to give us an opportunity to stay in there and get some timely hitting.”