Softball in Clearwater

SOFTBALL GAME TIMEMaine (0-12) at USF (10-8)When: Today, noonWhere: Eddie C. Moore ComplexTV/Radio: NA

The South Florida softball team, which started the season on a three-game winning streak, is 4-6 since the opening tournament of the season. Since its streak to start the season, the team has yet to win back-to-back games.

Coming off a 6-1 win against No. 42 Virginia Tech, the Bulls will look to improve their record during the USF Under Armour Invitational, which begins today in Clearwater.

The Bulls (10-8) will begin the tournament at the Eddie C. Moore complex with a doubleheader against the University of Maine (0-12) and St. Joseph’s University (1-5).

The Bulls will look to establish a strong start on offense, as Maine has given up 20 runs in the first two innings of games this season.

The Black Bears will enter the tournament coming off of a 6-5 loss against Central Michigan, where junior pitcher Jenna Balent gave up 10 hits and five earned runs in eight innings.

St. Joseph’s – which won its season opener against Troy University – is on a five-game losing streak.

Senior pitcher Lauren Cognigni leads the Hawk’s pitching staff with an earned run average of 3.96. St. Joseph dropped their previous game against Michigan State.

Maine and St. Joseph’s combine for a record of 1-17, but the Bulls know firsthand that teams with one or no wins on the season are not automatic wins.

The Bulls lost to Wright State, which came into the Louisville Slugger Tournament winless on the season. The Bulls gave up a 2-1 loss.

The Bulls have been able to score runs and hit effectively in recent games. They had 11 hits in their win against Illinois-Chicago and have outscored opponents 15-9 in their last four games.

Sophomore catcher Cat Olnick’s hitting performance Sunday gave the Bulls their second upset of the season against a ranked opponent in then No. 24 Virginia Tech.

The Bulls will continue the tournament through spring break.