Tennis continues today after flu cancels match

WOMEN’S TENNIS GAME TIMEUSF (6-2) at Florida (3-0)When: Tonight, 5Where: GainesvilleTV/Radio: NA

The USF women’s tennis team (6-2) plays a rare mid-week match today at 5 p.m. against the University of Florida in Gainesville.

The Gators boast a regular season home winning streak of 59 matches. The contest was supposed to be played Jan. 30, but was postponed until today after several members of the USF women’s tennis team came down with the flu.

The team will not only try to snap a two-match losing streak against the Gators, it will also try to accomplish what the men couldn’t – come back from Gainesville with a victory.

“I guarantee a win,” Janette Bejlkova said. “Off the court, we are good friends with the Florida players, but when it comes time to play and we are on the court, we set all the friendships aside and focus on winning the series.”

Bejlkova added that she believes the Bulls will win ­- not because they are underestimating the Gators, but because she feels confident about how the team is playing.

“We are in a rhythm [at this point of the season] and we are more experienced now than we were at the beginning,” Liz Cruz, the team’s No. 1 singles player, said during Thursday’s practice.

Today’s match will be the ninth of 14-straight road matches for the Bulls, who haven’t played a match in the last 16 days.

With such a long gap between matches, the team should be well rested when it returns to the court but might have to shake off some rust.

“We needed the rest, since different members of the team have been afflicted with the flu for the last couple of days. We will be healthy and refreshed [today],” coach Agustin Moreno said.

Visiting Gainesville won’t be something the Bulls would mark as an easy task in their calendars, since the Gators (3-0) are ranked fifth in the nation and blanked Troy 7-0 five days ago.

All of Florida’s players are ranked in the top 100, and are led by Megan Alexander, who is ranked 37th in the nation.