SHS pushes for community wellness

Recreation fitness coordinator Anne Friesel wants students to take advantage of programs aimed at educating students on how to live a healthy lifestyle, which she said ultimately fosters academic success.

Oracle: What is Team Wellness?

Anne Friesel: Team Wellness is a fairly new program run by Campus Recreation, the Council Center and Student Health Services (SHS). The program focuses on the spiritual, physical, intellectual, emotional, social and occupational wellness of a person.

How is academic success affected by wellness?

Students’ academic achievements are hindered by eating disorders, psychological disorders and depression. Many are forced to drop out of classes because they are not well and cannot handle the stresses of a full-time schedule.

What resources are available to students?

There are a variety of services students can take advantage of, like meeting with a nutritionist through SHS, speaking to someone in the Counseling Center in SVC 2124 and meeting with fitness coordinators in the Rec. Center.

What types of workshops are offered to students?

Recent workshops have dealt with issues such as time management, sleep habits, immune system boosting and resistance training. A list of upcoming workshops can be found at usfweb2.usf.edu/CampRec/.

How does strength training benefit the body?

Strength training breaks down the bone, but then repairs itself stronger than it was before, preventing diseases such as osteoporosis.

Individuals lose seven pounds of muscle tissue each decade of their lives. Is there any way to reverse this?

Strength training is a benefit because our body falls apart over time. With regular strength exercises, you can build muscle and bone instead of losing it. If you don’t use it, you are going to lose it.

What types of classes are offered that help combat muscle tissue loss?

“Totally Toned” and “Boot Camp” both utilize strength-training techniques. Other classes, like kickboxing and spinning, are designed for cardiovascular exercise. For a list of all classes offered at the Rec. Center, visit usfweb2.usf.edu/CampRec/GroupFitness/.