USF Successful in Return to the Corral

The women’s volleyball team concluded its weekend with the Bulls’ fourth win in five games as it edged out West Virginia and Pittsburgh.

The USF offense was high-flying against the Mountaineers on Friday, achieving its highest hitting percentage of the season with .379 in a 3-1 victory. The team also held a good West Virginia team to a .189 hitting percentage and only had 11 errors on the day.

Marcela Gurgel led the team with its only double-double. She had 15 kills and 11 digs, while Kristina Fabris netted 13 kills. Fabris also moved into fifth all-time for block assists with 260. Nakia Williams paced the Bulls, tallying the highest hitting percentage with .500 and finishing with 11 kills.

The Bulls were one ace shy of achieving the single game record, finishing with 20. Gurgel led the Bulls with seven serving aces.

The team capped off the weekend perfectly with another 3-1 victory over the Pittsburg Panthers. After the win the Bulls are two games above .500 in the Big East, moving another step closer in their bid for the Big East Championship.

Fabris and Gurgel were again the frontrunners for the Bulls, as both produced double-doubles. They were also the only USF players to achieve double digits in kills: Gurgel with a team-high 24 and Fabris with 17.

Even though the Bulls won by two matches, the statistics show a close game. Both teams hit .268 and USF had only one more kill and block than the Panthers.

The Bulls will continue their home stand Wednesday at 7 p.m. when they take on Florida Gulf Coast University.