Volleyball opens its season in New York

The volleyball team makes its season debut in New York.

The Bulls square off against

Buffalo and Niagara University this

weekend in the Western New York Invitational.

The Bulls have two games slated for Saturday. They start off playing Buffalo at 12:30 p.m. and then end the day against Niagara at 7 p.m. Buffalo and Niagara both had losing seasons last year but the Bulls aren’t looking past anyone this year.

“On any given night any team can win,” coach Claire Lessinger said. “We have to prepare for each opponent the same way. There will be no easy task this year. We have to be physically and mentally prepared for anyone who is across the net from us.”

The Buffalo Bulls posted a 14-20 record last year going 6-7 at home. They opened the season last Friday against Baylor and fell 3-0.

Niagara ended their tumultuous 2006 season with a 4-23 record. Their start to the 2007 season has shown much of the same, going 0-3 after playing in the

Colgate Classic last week.

Fordham University will likely be the biggest challenge for USF. The Rams compiled a 21-15 record in 2006.

The Rams played in the Georgia State Tournament last weekend, winning their first two games outright by a combined score of 6-1, including a 3-1 upset of in-state rivals, the Central Florida Knights.

They faltered, however, in the final two matches, losing to East Tennessee State and Georgia State to end the tournament and start the season 2-2. Katherine Burrell was named to the Georgia State All-Tournament team while posting 51 assists, 13 digs and three aces.