Improvement is key

Last season, the USF volleyball team was predicted to finish dead last out of 15 teams in the Big East Conference. Instead, the Bulls silenced all doubters by earning a berth in the Big East conference tournament.

Now, coming into the season as the

seventh-ranked team in the Big East, they will attempt to return to the Big East tournament and improve upon last season’s first-round loss to St. John’s.

The Bulls will try to capitalize on a schedule that includes 12 home matches. The Bulls finished the season with a 12-16 record. However, USF was 8-6 at home. The Bulls will also be playing home games against some of the best teams the Big East has to offer.

USF will take on conference champion Louisville in its first non-tournament match on September 21. USF also plays Pittsburgh, St. John’s and Connecticut – all of whom made the Big East conference tournament last season – at home, in the Corral.

The young Bulls team, which has 10 underclassmen who could see considerable playing time, has several talented players leading them this season.

Sophomore Marcela Gurgel played well last season, leading the Bulls in nearly every statistical category. Gurgel has also been named to the preseason all-Big East team.

With a core of talented young players and a schedule including 12 home matches, the Bulls have a great opportunity to return to the Big East Tournament for the second straight season.