Women’s soccer still seeking players

With the upcoming season less than a month away, the women’s soccer team is still seeking players to fill out its roster.

The team will hold open tryouts on Sept. 5, hoping to bring in new talent to the squad. “I’m really excited about the tryout,” Coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “I think it says a lot for the school itself of the girls that come out.”

Schilte-Brown is entering her first season as head coach of the Bulls. She previously coached Virginia Commonwealth for seven years. During her years at VCU, she led the team to two NCAA Women’s Soccer College Cup appearances and back-to-back Colonial Athletic Association conference championships in 2004 and 2005. The Bulls, who finished last season with an overall record of 6-10-1, currently have a roster of 10, according to the team’s official Web site. The Bulls graduated seven seniors and lost nine underclassmen from last season’s roster for various reasons.

“We’re a new staff and we did want to bring in a large class,” said Schilte-Brown. “We’re probably going to bring in 16.”

This number includes incoming freshmen, transfers and walk-ons.

“Well, we’re trying to have the image of kind of a new, fresh start to the program with the coaches having a new outlook,” said Schilte-Brown.

This will be the first time Schilte-Brown has held a tryout, and she said some of the decisions are in progress. Many of the drills for the tryout will be determined by the number of participants. If a small number attends the tryout, then some of theplayers already on the roster may help facilitate a game situation.

Schilte-Brown said she has received a lot of interest.

“I think the level (of play) is going to be pretty decent,” said Schilte-Brown. Another decision still to be made is whether the coaching staff will invite players directly to the team or if they will hold a second tryout.

“Even more important than their abilities will be their attitudes toward being a part of a team,” Schilte-Brown said of prospects.

Women interested in trying out need to be registered as full-time USF students and pick up a tryout packet after the first day of classes. The packet must be returned to the coaching staff before Aug. 31.