Fire at Campus Lodge

Nobody was injured Monday afternoon after a small fire destroyed a balcony and part of a living room at the USF-area Campus Lodge apartment complex.

It is unclear what caused the fire, according to Ray Yeakley, a spokesman from the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue. No foul play is suspected, he said.

One witness said pesticide may have been involved in the fire’s spreading, but that could not be confirmend, Yeakley said.”We’re not sure what caused it,” Yeakley said. “As far as we know, there was no grill. It seems accidental.”

At least three people were home when the fire started, witnesses said.

The fire department responded to a 911 call at 12:54 p.m. and arrived to tall columns

Firefighters work to
contain a small fire.

of smoke pouring out the third floor balcony of an apartment in Building 2604, which is located in the northern part of the complex.

Firefighters quickly contained the fire, and only the balcony and part of the living room were damaged, Yeakley said.

Representatives from the Campus Lodge leasing office could not be reached for comment.

Yeakley said investigators determined the fire started on the patio, but added that they failed to locate an exact ignition point.

Clean-up crews armed with air dryers were present at the complex late Monday night. Authorities couldn’t say whether the apartment’s residents had to find temporary place to live.