SG Forum trades slices for suggestions

Free pizza, smoothies and T-shirts are just some of the promotional items Student Government will give away as it takes over MLK Plaza on Tuesday in search of comments and criticism.

The Forum is a biannual tradition for SG and a tool it uses to become more interactive with the student body. Each semester, several senators involved in the Organizational Outreach Committee (OOC) – a committee with the function of acting as a liaison between SG and students – organize the event. This year’s OOC chair, Natasha Bui, said she planned several new events to draw a crowd.

“(The Recreation Center) will provide us with ping pong tables,” she said. “We’ll be playing a game called ‘Play Your Senator’ where (students) will have to find the senator from (their) college and play them up to five (points). If (students) win, they’ll get a prize.”

Bui said there will also be a spinning trivia wheel called Spin-a-Bull, raffle prizes and “corn-hole,” a game that involves throwing beanbags at a bull’s-eye.The Forum isn’t just about fun and games, though. Bui said this is a day those involved in SG take very seriously. According to her, for a student to receive a free slice of pizza or smoothie, they must first fill out a student concerns form listing their questions or comments in dealing with the University.

“(I want students to come out) so they can let us hear them,” she said. “I want to hear what they have to say. I think it’s really important (for students) to meet their student representatives.”

Bui said that along with the senators, representatives from the executive and judicial branches, all SG agencies and the administration will be on hand to talk to students about their concerns.

According to Bui, last semester’s turnout was tremendous and she hopes to see even bigger gains this semester.

“It was one of the most amazing turnouts,” Bui said. “We got over 500 student concerns and we got to answer about 90 percent of their concerns.”

The event will go from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.