‘La Bomb’ is the bomb

What you may already know about the Brazilian Girls is that nobody in the band is Brazilian, and only one member is female. What you may not know is how the band has managed to authentically absorb sounds within specific genres such as dance-pop, punk, jazz, Latino and even industrial music, infusing them with vocals and infectious, irresistible techno beats.

The Brazilian Girls’ sophomore effort, Talk to La Bomb, takes these sounds to another level, with more experimentation and variety sure to make anybody a fan.

The foursome, whose hometowns include Argentina, Germany, Italy and the southern United States, met in 2003 in a New York City club and have since garnered much attention for selling out venue after venue with high-energy performances.

The band members include Didi Gutman, a Latin Grammy award winner and master of the keyboard; Jesse Murphy, the bass guitar player, and Aaron Johnston, an incredibly original drummer. Instruments such as the trombone, euphonium, tuba, flutes and saxophones also appear on the album.

Sabina Siubba, the vocalist, sings in one of five languages – Spanish, French, Italian, English and German – at any given moment. Her vocals, much like the lyrics, are soothing and sexy and more fun than dramatic. She’s also quite the front woman, with a body like a Barbie doll and fashion sense that resembles the obscurity one finds on big-shot runway models. The fact that her eyes are always covered on stage and in photos only adds to her allure.

All of the songs have an infectious quality, but the opening track, “Jique” (a word Siubba made up) may be the catchiest. It starts with a heavy, descending bass guitar riff, almost industrial sounding. Siubba then goes from singing in French to English, the most discernable line of which is, “You know, I really, really like you.”

The next track, “All About Us,” sounds like it could be from another band altogether. Its end and beginning sound theatrical until the drums and bass kick in. Then a techno beat loops just fast enough to make your head bop. It’s a sort of anthem for couples.

While the Brazilian Girls is most noted for wanting to make you dance, it may also make you want to pour a glass of wine and chill. Tracks such as “Sweatshop,” “Rules of the Game” and “Nicotine,” are quite enticing, although, the titles are slightly misleading. Siubba’s vocals are jazzier than rock ‘n’ roll. Think of Sade with more “oomph,” heavier drumming and hints of electronica.

If you’re looking for insightful lyrics, you won’t find them on this album. But that’s not a bad thing. The band’s sound is fun, and the grounded and sometimes funny lyrics complement it perfectly. For instance, the song “Tourist Trap” goes through the trials of heavy partying, with lines such as, “Losing at the casino / drinking wine and tequila / lalala lala / throwing up / tourist trap!”

If you’re still not sure whether you would like this band, go to Amazon.com or MySpace and listen to “Don’t Stop” and track 7 from their self-titled album. The tracks mentioned above also deserve a listen.

If you like upbeat and original music with a worldly flair, you will like this band, no question. The highly acclaimed Talk to La Bomb most certainly does the Brazilian Girls justice.