UP charges two non-students with drug trafficking

A routine traffic stop off campus led University Police and security at the Embassy Suites Hotel to the discovery of large amounts of cash, marijuana and crack cocaine, and the arrest of two suspects early Monday.

Police arrested Stephanie Marie Montesi, 35, of the 7000 block of Bonita Drive, for third-degree felonies of possession of cannabis with intent to sell and leasing or renting for the purpose of trafficking. She was also arrested for two misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence and giving a false name to a law enforcement officer.

Frank Javier Rose, 30, of the 200 block of West Patterson Street, was arrested for second-degree felony possession of cannabis with intent to sell and first-degree felony of trafficking in cocaine 28-200 grams. Rose was also arrested on a warrant for third-degree felonies of fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer and for habitual driving with a revoked license.

Neither suspect has any connection with the University.

UP Spokesman Sgt. Michael Klingebiel said Embassy Suites security reported a suspicious female at about 6 a.m. UP responded and watched Montesi drive away in a rented 2006 gold 4-door Toyota, Klingebiel said.

Officers Christopher Migliore and Thomas Bobrowski executed a traffic stop after Montesi drove over the left centerline near the intersection of Fowler Avenue and 22nd Street, he said.

While reaching for her identification and paperwork, officers saw four bags of marijuana in the glove compartment and determined she was impaired after a sobriety test, Klingebiel said.

The officers then went back to help hotel security evict Montesi. When they entered Montesi’s room, they found Rose with $3,024 in cash, marijuana and cocaine in his pockets, a media release said.

According to the release, police found 55.8 grams of marijuana, 5.7 grams of cocaine and 49.4 grams of crack cocaine.

Montesi was being held at Orient Road Jail on Monday in lieu of a combined bond of $5,000. Rose was also being held at Orient Road without bail.