Women’s soccer wins make-up game, remain undefeated this season

For the women’s soccer team, it’s the same old story: another shutout victory and another goal from Lindsay Brauer. The Bulls improved their record to 3-0-1 after defeating Stetson 3-0 on Tuesday.

Brauer scored her seventh goal of the season and has registered at least one goal in every game played. With her most recent success, Brauer broke a tie with West Virginia’s Nikki Mabery for most goals in the Big East Conference.

“Brauer definitely makes a huge impact on the field for us,” assistant coach Renee Horton said. “Her training this summer with the under-23 national team had made her even more dangerous.”

Midfielder Jalessa Scott opened the scoring after rebounding one of Brauer’s shots that was deflected by the goalkeeper. USF has never trailed this season. It’s the Bulls’ best start since 1998, when the team won its first nine games of the season.

“I think that it’s necessary for us as a team (to have an early lead),” Horton said. “That mindset has been an advantage for us. We want to make sure we get an early goal then play good team soccer.”

Brauer scored with just 10 seconds remaining in the first half to give USF a 2-0 advantage. Forward Ebony Robinson put the game out of reach early in the second period with her first goal of the season.

Arguably, Brauer could already be the team’s MVP. Not only does she lead the Big East in goals, but she also leads in shots (28), points (14) and goals per game (1.75).

While the Bulls’ offense has been impressive, the defense has played just as well. The Hatters attempted just six shots and only one was on goal. Goalkeeper Casey Garrett recorded her third shutout of the season.

Backup goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi made her Bulls’ debut by playing the final nine minutes of the game. The coaching staff has been impressed by Lofton-Malachi efforts during practice.

“(Lofton-Malachi) is a very good keeper. Her presence has improved the defensive play of our team,” Horton said. “She is definitely going to see some (playing) time this season.”