Volleyball Game Time

USF Best Western Invitational

Who: USF (0-2), Illinois-Chicago (1-1), University of Texas-El Paso (0-4), Towson (2-2)

When: Today, 7; Sat. Noon and 6 p.m.

Where: The Corral

The story: After opening the season with two road losses, the volleyball team hosts its fourth Best Western Classic, beginning today. The Bulls look to rebound after losses to No. 5 Florida and Arkansas State during the Aquafina Invitational.

USF turns to sophomore Marcela Gurgel and her 32 kills this season for leadership. The outside hitter is first on the team in aces and second in assists. The Bulls are hoping not to duplicate last season’s winless performance at the tournament.

The Bulls host the University of Illinois-Chicago for their 2006 home opener tonight. USF has to keep an eye on middle hitter Katie Kozak, as the senior leads the Flames with 8 aces through two games. USF has lost its only meeting with the Flames.

UTEP outside hitter Christie Murphy was named to the Ready One Sun Bowl Invitational Tournament Team after recording 22 kills during the two game tournament. USF is 0-2 all-time against the Miners.

Saturday marks the first time USF faces Towson in its 34-year history. Maddie Haseltine recorded a season-high 28 kills during the Tigers’ loss to Ohio State. Towson has alternated losses and wins this season.

Keep an eye on: Juliana Nogueira. The setter leads the Bulls with 75 assists this season. The setter also leads USF with a .250 shot percentage and is tied for the lead in digs with 19.